[AZ-Observing] Re: amateur telescope

  • From: "Bob Christ" <bchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:11:06 -0700

Barb, if you have not done so, I would suggest attending a star party (or
better - parties) and look through as many smaller scopes as you can and
"pick the brains" of the owners.  You will gain a sense of the views that
scopes of smaller aperture, representing different
manufacturers/models/price bands, can deliver.

The excitement to plunge-in and buy *now* can be costly if you buy a scope
today and find out it cannot deliver when your thirst to "see more" surfaces
in 6 months.  We've all been through this.  Without gaining experience,
buying a scope for "today and tomorrow" is really difficult.  You will be
able to narrow the field of scope type/size by identifying what piques your
viewing interest.  Planets only?  Deep Sky Objects (DSOs)?  Not all scopes
do all things.

Contrary to my normal behavior when engaging in a new interest, I bought an
inexpensive used ETX60AT and used it for a year until I figured-out what my
"real" telescope would be.  The approach turned out to be a real sound
strategy for me and I'm ecstatic with my second scope.

Used telescopes pop up every day - I'd suggest you give yourself time to
really "scope-out" what will serve you best.

Bob

Ps.  Don't fret about the ease/difficulty of using a GoTo scope - operation
is relatively straight forward across brands.