[AZ-Observing] Re: Telrad stellar limit

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:22:47 -0700

A few months ago, one of the "learning" channels-- Discovery Channel,
History Channel, whatever-- did a program in which they touched on why
pirates wore an eye patch even if they had two good eyes. It seems that when
the boarded a ship they wanted to capture, they had to scurry down below to
get to the majority of the crew.  The hold of the ship was dark, and coming
down from a sunlit deck put them at a huge disadvantage.  So they wore a
patch over one eye so when they got below, they could remove the patch and
see well enough in the dark hold to fight effectively.

Sounds odd-- maybe it's true. I don't know if any pirates left us any
research on the topic!

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, AZ