[AZ-Observing] Re: Telrad stellar limit

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:39:31 -0700

Dick, yes I didn't mention the digital setting circles as the problem was
the finder.  Using the finder to point at a bright star is rather difficult
and takes some time to get the eye in the correct position because there
doesn't seem, or at least I haven't found one, to be good guides on the
finder.  It's difficult to describe the problem.  Finding a spot, or spots,
on the finder such that it is aimed at a star is difficult.  There's only
one set of calibration screws.  It isn't mounted with 2 rings as many
finders.

Take a look at Orion's 9X50 finder at
http://www.telescope.com/control/category/~category_id=finder_scopes/~pcategory=accessories;jsessionid=B6E1D8C0379BC32CFDD04652AFAD0913.ivprod1
and see.  The tube isn't parallel, there is only one set of calibration
screws.  If your eye isn't in the correct position when initially aiming the
scope then it won't be pointing correctly.

I hope the above isn't confusing.  Takes me a while to get to the point.

Remember the discussion between Dean "acursed" Ketelsen and myself - its an
right angle finder. :)

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ