[AZ-Observing] Re: Telrad stellar limit

  • From: "Workman, Brian (AZ76)" <brian.workman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:01:31 -0400

=20

> exposure of one eye to bright light leaves the other other eye
unaffected (at least as regards pupil size) is incorrect.=20

This is interesting. When I get up early to run or ride my bike and I
want to preserve my dark adaptation as long as possible, or if I get up
in the middle of the night and go to the fridge for a bottle of water,
I'll close one eye when I open the fridge. Then once I close the fridge
door, I can still see my way through the eye that was closed, while the
one that was open is temporarily "blinded".=20

The key here is that you said "unaffected". I don't know to what extent
the protected eye was affected, only that it is relatively still dark
adapted. I'll have to think up some way to test this in a measureable
way.