[AZ-Observing] Sight of a lifetime - and a problem

  • From: "Alan Gore" <agore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:05:39 -0700

Hi folks,

After two weeks in New Zealand, I finally got clear skies here in the
mountain town of Te Anau. Last night I got a magnificent view of the stars
over Lake Te Anau. I got my first good view of the Southern Cross, and Venus
was so bright that it formed a silvery path in the lake. Venus was in
Scorpius - upside down. Above Scorpius, innumerable new stars.

And this brings me to my problem. Since I have my laptop with me for
offloading and editing photographs as I go, I brought along the copy of Sky
Map Pro that I have been using for years. Now that the sky is filled with
stars I have never seen before, I want to be able to identify them. So I
haul my ThinkPad out to the lake, start up Sky Map Pro - and all I get is a
"This program is not registered" screen. Since I bought this copy some time
ago, some file must have gotten corrupted that controls licensing. Those
stars will have to remain unidentified until I get back.

I'm never going to use Sky Map Pro again. People on this list seem to like
Starry Nights. Has anyone ever had a problem with disappearing registrations
with their program? I don't want to have this kind of thing happen again.

Alan Gore