[AZ-Observing] Re: Sight of a lifetime - and a problem

  • From: "Alan Gore" <agore@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:21:53 -0700

Folks,

>What version of SkyMap Pro are you using? I know there was an issue with
the
>demo registration timer on , I believe v10.0 (this was the first version
>that had a demo timer). You can download the latest service pack from
>www.skymap.com which would fix the problem. No need to load all v.10 sp's
as
>they are cumulative. If this doesn't work, please contact Chris Marriot
>through the SkyMap website before you go trashing the program. His support
>of his product is unequaled in the industry.

Thanks much for the kind words and help on this, everyone! Yes, my SkyMapPro
is in fact V10. I started with a prior version installed from CD, then
bought the online upgrade to V10 when it came out. I don't recall exactly
when this was, but it was at least two years ago. During that time, I have
used the program many times without any indication that it was a 'demo
version' that would expire, though that is what he message I'm getting
indicates. I'll try the service pack and see if that helps, though I only
have a few days left on this trip before I return to Arizona, and on a group
tour I don't have much opportunity to find star map information. I had
considered bringing my nice laminated charts with me, but they were slightly
too large for the suitcase.

Last night, I enjoyed the best viewing conditions yet. Just above and to the
left (from the NZ point of view) of the Southern Cross, I found a number of
showy open clusters and bright nebulae, two of which might be the Magellanic
Clouds. Unfortunately we have only one more night in the mountains, then we
head down to places that will probably be cloudier.