[AZ-Observing] Saturn Occultation

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:32:14 -0700

0400 Ouch!!  Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a night owl,
definitely not a morning person. Most the time when I see the sunrise it
is because I have been up all night. But I got up when the alarm went
off, allowing a little extra time to set up video equipment on the scope.

I had watched it in the eyepiece last time, so this time I thought it
would be a good idea to record it.  Seeing not too bad with a low
frequency shift in the image, cassini and ring shadows very apparent in
the eyepiece.  Using a little Sony camera that is about the size of an
eyepiece and a regular VCR I was setup with plenty of time... I thought.
 With the eyepiece I had the image of Saturn was very dim and large when
I finally found it beside the moon.  Run into the house to grab a 25mm
that will fit in the adaptor.  Get everything reset and Saturn is almost
about to make contact, check video gain, check focus and there is about
30sec of video before contact. Barely!  Saturn is sharp in the video but
the Moon is a wall of white as Saturn slid gracefully behind the moon.
Have to see if I can make an MPEG of it that doesn't take two hours to download.

Andrew

--

Andrew Cooper
Tucson, AZ