[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn Occultation...

  • From: "Joe Macke" <joe01@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:20:40 -0700

Hi all,

I went out last night to try to see the ring occultation.  I tried as much
as 400X in my 20cm SCT, but I could never reliably see the star.  I hadn't
referred to a star chart (pesky family wants me to do stuff with them!), but
I imagined I could almost start to see a star just to the SE of the rings.
The seeing was terrible, although I could make out the shadow of the rings
on the planet most of the time, but it looked like the shadow of a Jello
ring.  I stepped back to 200X and the view was much more pleasing, but still
couldn't make out a star.  My neighbor was impressed with view, nonetheless.

When I got tired of that, I took a peek at Mars.  I could see some dark area
in the center of the disk, but I didn't try to identify it.  All-in-all, the
lazy astronomer.

I won't be able to make Flatiron this evening, but it looks like it will be
a good night.

Clear skies,
Joe