[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn Occultation...

  • From: Aaron McNeely <mamcneely@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:25:22 -0800 (PST)

> Hey Aaron!
>
> Well, I suppose we could get a web-cam network
> online, and you could live
> vicariously through our scopes if need be.  I'm sure
> we could round a few up
> now that Mars is receding!
>
> But more curiously, what is it exactly that gives an
> amateur astronomer the
> stigma of being a "lame-ass"?  Could you give us a
> definition?
>
> Darn good to hear from you....
> Thad

I will surely come to visit and stargaze eventually. I
am sorry to hear that Sentinel may become light
polluted.

I call them lame asses because some of the members of
my local club were going to help me with a public Mars
star party and they didn't show up. Plus, the club
president told me that they never sponsor public star
parties.

I'm not as active at public star parties as some are,
but I think that a club should do them occaisionaly as
a public service.

There, I have been ticked off about this as you can
tell. I will go back to see them eventually.

I have been a vicarious AZ observer as I still get the
emails. The general astronomy items are still
relevent, I do generally skip the strings of star
party announcements.

Being an Indiana astronomer has been quite nice
actually. I have done a lot more observing than I
would have imagined. I built a small observatory for
my 7-inch Mak, and my backyard is fairly dark. On one
evening last winter I was able to spot M33 with the
naked eye.

Take care, and clear skies.

=====
Michael Aaron McNeely