[AZ-Observing] Saturn Occultation

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:16:35 -0700

Howdy all;
Well, I hope people to the east of Arizona had better luck than we did because
trying to see an 8th mag star pass behind the rings when it is only up 15
degrees was not possible at my house in Phoenix.  I got on Saturn, but the
seeing over my neighbors house was horrible, I was able to see the star, but
once it got close to the rings, they just "swallowed it up" and I never saw the
star again.  I couldn't hold Cassini's division steady enough to see the star
shine through it, if that happened.  To be honest, after 25 minutes or so, I
just gave up.  So I don't know if the star would have been visible between the
planet and the rings.

I know that there is another of these events later in November, I certainly
hope that it is above the horizon better than this one.

Take Care;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org