[AZ-Observing] Re: Saturn Occultation

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <FJKraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:16:38 -0700

As Tom reported, he and I both observed the last half of the occultation
from Arizona Sky Village.  As Tom photographed the moonlit surroundings, I
continued to watch the star's passage through the Crepe ring and its
disappearance behind the B-ring.

Behind the C-ring, the star did appear fainter and seemed of comparable
brightness to Dione, which I believe is 10th mag.  However, I do not
consider this accurate since I did no comparison of the star between the
rings and Saturn, and the star outside Saturn's rings; next occultation.

The star also varied in brightness/visibility to the point or plain sight
and a complete disappearance.  Unfortunately, I cannot hold myself to these
observations:  One, the seeing did fluctuate at 400x, but not to the point
where I would change magnifications.  Two, I was the only observer at the
time, and could not confirm a disappearance with another individual as you
would with a stellar occultation or lunar graze.

-FRANK