[AZ-Observing] Saturnian Occultation and the rest of the morning sky.

  • From: kellerjt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:31:49 -0700

A Saturnian occultation was the best way I've started a week!  Just so
amazing! And within the best sign ever that cool weather (closer observing
spots) and longer observing nights are near--The Winter Hexagon!!!  I loved
watching it disappear leaving one little ornament hook for a second then
reappear from the dark side seemingly out of no where.  It's somehow strange
to see Saturn in the daylight anyway, then to see him next to the Moon in
the same field!

I think I saw Titan at ~11:00 position to Saturn, did anybody else?

The 3rd quarter Moon was noticeably supersized with Grimaldi well within the
limb and a few not always observable features exposed. I wonder how long the
Moon will be at this libration, is it a seasonal occurrence or some other
period?  Are any of these objects on the SAC 110 Moon list!

Did anyone notice the massive chains of Sunspots?  The most I've seen in a
while.  Maybe 100 sizeable to huge ones concentrated onto one side in a long
and shorter chain.

And Venus in some kind of Gibbous stage, would it be waxing or waning?

Plus all of the Galilean Moons visible with Jupiter!

Telrad, the ISS didn't occult b Ursa Majoris (Dubhe?) from my vantage point
in Laveen but got really almost grazingly  close.  I timed it starting from
the outside of Dubhe to the inside of Merak it took only 29 seconds!  It
really travels fast!

I tried catching the Irridium flare but missed--darn.

Then the discovery of another favorite nearest sky object, and me with
binoculars in hand!--a verdin, !!! er vS gnr sdist

What a great sky morning!