[AZ-Observing] Re: Goto Scopes for Marathons

  • From: "M DAILEY" <msd60@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:33:13 -0700

Hi everyone,

I would like to weigh in on this discussion as the user to a GOTO scope. The
year before last I used my scope at the MM and found all 110. Did I feel
like I had cheated?. Nope, Did I feel like I worked nearly as hard as the
others who completed the marathon with less advanced methods?.. Nope. But
neither did those with Digital Setting Circles tell me they felt like they
had it so easy either.

I accepted the award, but I don't tell everyone I'm an astronomer, I keep
this as my own accomplishment and cherish the memory of the night I spent
with a huge group of like minded folks. I had a blast.

For me it's like taking a bicycle hike. If I have the lightest, most
advanced bicycle, does that mean I didn't ride the ride so to speak?..

That being said, I would like to say someday that I completed the marathon
without the modern wonders of a computer, but until then, my GOTO scope
let's me enjoy the night sky along with those that have been observing for
many many years (Steve Coe), and it keeps me going in this hobby as I don't
have the time and energy to put into the hobby what those who have been
doing this forever have been able to do.

Please don't disparage those of us who prefer the ooohh and aaahh side of
this hobby. I respect those those who had to walk up hill in a snow storm
both ways, but I prefer to see the skies and as much of them as I can while
my eyes can take the strain.

The last point is that my scope cost me 900 bucks, but I still had to hunt
and search because the damn thing is never on the money. I had to use my
Messier Marathon book to see if I was close as the computer and plastic
gears never seemed to line up the object in the eyepiece. GOTO's are not
perfect.

My Two Cents and hope to see you all soon.

Marshall