[AZ-Observing] Re: Goto Scopes for Marathons

  • From: "Frank Martin" <fmartin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:07:04 -0700

I have not been very vocal as of late, but I have to side with Steve.  If
you are going to start making classes, why not make them for those under
forty and those over forty, fifty, etc. as well.  I know that young eyes
seem to do better than old ones.  I too have done both ways and the
fun/challenge is getting to view all of the objects, never mind how you got
there.  Let each decide how they do it.  The only downside of using a GOTO
is not learning the night sky if someone new starts with a GOTO.  As Pierre
Schwaar would say, "That would be a shame", but it would be their loss.

Enough said,
Frank Martin

Author:  Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist
Saguaro Astronomy Club web site: