[AZ-Observing] Re: Astroimages from Cherry Road

  • From: "William R Wood" <w.wood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:10:26 -0700

Tom,

> Even attaching the camera to the top of the Pronto was not trivial.  I had
> to buy a special piggyback adapter made only by >TeleVue.  On top of that
> rides an omni-directional ballhead.

A ballhead is exactly what I would like to use.  Could you let me know what
one you have and whether you think it will hold a Canon 1DMkII camera (a
fair amount heavier than the 300D) plus a 70-200/2.8 lens without slipping
or flexing?

> One good thing about digital is that you can zoom in a review image
> seconds after you take it to check for focus.  The >problem with that
> 70-200mm has been that you are only turning that focus ring back and forth
> by fractions of a millimeter to >affect the focus.  This is fine for
> terrestrial work, when the depth of field will take care of that problem,
> but not fine for astro >shots that have to be dead nuts on infinity.

It will be a pain dealing with the wire but I can run the camera tethered to
a laptop via firewire and see the images (full size and zoomed in) right
away which may work out ok for focusing.

The 1D also has a noise reduction setting which works real well to eliminate
the hot pixels that show up in long exposures so I am hoping that the images
will not need much, if any, fussing in Photoshop.  Am I dreaming or do I
have to read "Photoshop for Astrophotographers" as well?

Thanks,

Bill