[AZ-Observing] Re: Astroimages from Cherry Road

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:02:02 -0700

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it may. The power Jack was
talking about is the DC power. You do not want to run the DSI Pro
from a battery powered laptop. It will drain the laptop's battery
very quickly. Use a powered USB hub or run the laptop with an AC
adapter.

The faster processor speed will be more important for the image
processing rather than the acquisition.  They say with a 2 GHz
processor you can run three image at once. Why three I have no idea,
maybe two - one for guiding and one for imaging.

Jeff

At 20:00 -0700 8/29/05, Stan Gorodenski wrote:
>Jeff,
>I just looked at your previous email you sent when I inquired about a
>lap top. So I know what you are using to operate your DSI. I see you
>state that 400 Mhz is minimum. However, I was running the LPI, which
>also uses Autostar, on my 350 MHz pc. Does this mean it could operate
>the DSI?
>Stan
>
>Stan Gorodenski wrote:
>
>>I believe these are just recommendations. For example, if I remember
>>correctly they also suggest 450 Mhz. Jeff (Hopkins), what are you using
>>to run your DSI?
>>Stan
>>
>>Jack Jones wrote:
>>
>>>Just saw the favorable review of Meade's DSI Pro CCD imager in S&T
>>>Oct issue.
>>>But you'd need a good laptop to run it and 2.0 USB for acceptable
>>>speed. Also
>>>plenty of power. That kind of cooled me on it.
>
>--

Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory