[AZ-Observing] Re: Annular Eclipse

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 19:38:50 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 You're welcome, Jimmy! I should have mentioned that we had
a contingent of about 10 HACers up at Wahweap Outlook and one up on the Golf
Course though I don't know where they were. The only "Phoenicians" I saw up
there were Dawn and Chris Schur. I wonder how their images turned out.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)
From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 19:07:04 -0700

Mrs. Ray and I were in Page and even though my vacation was curtailed we had
a grand time. We set up just off the golf course at the top of the cliff
along with a dozen other astronomers. As it got close to "show time" lots of
folks started coming out of the neighborhood and a festive eclipse party
broke out! Lots of oh's and ah's looking in all the scopes (I had 3 myself,
two white light, one Ha, the camera lens was white light filtered and
eclipse shades a plenty). Everyone was in awe at the sight, how cool it
suddenly got, the dimness and had fun playing with their "ghosted" shadows,
interlacing their fingers to make ringlets on the ground and such. After the
sun went down, off came the filters and Mrs. Ray and I hosted a star party
for all the folks who hung around. We broke down just after 9 Pm and headed
for the local Sonic drive in to feast on chili cheese fries and chocolate
shakes. It doesn't get much better :-)

The next day Mrs. Ray and I took our time coming home and played tourist,
doing the Glenn Canyon Dam tour, hiking the horseshoe bend on the Colorado
river, taking a side trip to marble canyon and the Navajo bridge, follow by
a stop at the Camron trading post and finally dinner at La Fonda in Flag
before heading home. Very memorable.

Can't wait to do the total eclipse in 2017

Thank you,

Jimmy Ray