[AZ-Observing] Annular Eclipse

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 22:17:03 -0700

I drove 90 miles north, by road miles, to a location 10 miles north of
I-40 just off hwy 64 on the way to the Grand Canyon. It was a waste of
gas money and time. My calculations were off. I thought I would be able
to see the moon just barely be entirely within the Sun, but it wasn't. I
should have stayed in Dewey. However, there were some positives. This is
the first time I have had my 5" Explore Scientific refractor on a trip
and everything went good. Also, the sky in Dewey was very white because
of the Gladiator fire and it was very windy in Dewey. At the 10 mile
north location the sky had improved considerably and actually looked
blue. Also, it was not windy. At 6:18pm a jet flew across the Sun. That
was interesting. I observed with the Lunt wedge and observed a number of
areas with faculae that did not appear to be associated with sunspots.
The entire sun fit in my field of view with the 16mm eyepiece (60
magnification), but near maximum I switched to my 26.6mm eyepiece (36
magnification). This was an improvement. I was able to see the edge of
the moon better.

That's about all.
Stan