[AZ-Observing] Re: Annular Eclipse

  • From: stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 21:46:50 -0700 (MST)

> Benson, AZ 85602
> hm ph: 520-586-2244 Actually those are pretty decent images, Darrell, much
> better than the few I got. If possible, I wouldn't mind seeing those set
> up as a gif movie. Stan, I don't know how you expected to see any of the
> eclipse from your area. On the way north when we went past the Prescott
> exits off I-17 the skies were filled with smoke and the smell of the fire
> was nearly overwhelming. It was only marginally better on the way back
> home.

Wayne,
I would have been able to see the eclipse very well at Dewey. The smoke at
the exits off I-17 were not typical of the Dewey area. The day before, the
Gladiator fire appeared to be heading directly east, probably in the area
of the I-17 intersection you passed through the next day. When you passed
through this area I suspect the major part of the smoke was again heading
east and contributing to the smell of smoke you experienced. The I-17
intersection you mention is quite far from Dewey and in a different
direction. There was no smell of smoke when I left at 1:30 to head north
of Williams, and no smell of smoke when I got back at 8pm. I definitely
would have had a good eclipse experience at Dewey had I stayed in Dewey,
and it would have save me about $20 in gas money!
Stan