[AZ-Observing] Re: Annular Eclipse

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 05:33:23 +0000

Hi Stan,

Don't feel bad.  I had big plans for this eclipse.  A bunch of us were planning
to be under the optimal path of totality (if annular), but plans fell apart
(one reason being I'm relocating in metro Phoenix) at the end of the month.  I
am up to my eyeballs in boxes and needed the weekend.

But, I managed to get out to a nearby park (in North Phoenix) with a decent
western horizon.  On a whim, I took along an 80mm f11 Vixen achromat with a
Baader filter and my Canon 30D.  I managed to get a decent series of the event
as seen from North Phoenix in simple white light.   As the Sun neared the
horizon, smoke from the Gladiator fire began to intrude somewhat.

I have some processing to do, but have uploaded raw, reduced images at the link
below.  Unfortunately, the images were posted backwards, i.e. sunset first -
then backwards through time.

http://s1008.photobucket.com/albums/af203/desertrefugee/May%2020%20-%202012%20Eclipse/?albumview=slideshow

I plan to put together a correctly oriented, sized and exposure-compensated
time-lapse.  Polakis, I ain't, but it'll be fun.

Darrell Spencer