[AZ-Observing] Re: Annular Eclipse

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kj4483@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 02:36:01 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Actually those are pretty decent images, Darrell, much
better than the few I got. If possible, I wouldn't mind seeing those set up as
a gif movie. Stan, I don't know how you expected to see any of the eclipse from
your area. On the way north when we went past the Prescott exits off I-17 the
skies were filled with smoke and the smell of the fire was nearly overwhelming.
It was only marginally better on the way back home. I just got back from our
eclipse trip to Page, AZ, ride-sharing (thanks Dave and Gloria Butler!) with
several fellow members of the Huachuca Astronomy Club (HAC) from the town of
Sierra Vista, AZ. It's been a very long time since I've been up to that part of
northern AZ, but Page and Lake Powell is a nice area with lots of scenic
vistas. We were there for a couple days and I wasn't thinking much beyond
eclipse activities (some nice talks and star parties planned by the National
Parks Service and manned by a number of amateur astronomy volunteers) or else I
would have done some touring of the local environs. A few of our fellow
travelers were more on the ball and took tours of the local slot canyons and
boat tours. Fortunately, on our way up to Page, we did stop off at one of the
vistas of the Colorado River and enjoyed it very much.   The eclipse was very
interesting to witness and there were about 3-400 people enjoying the spectacle
with us. The weather was very pleasant and we were far enough away from the big
fires in Arizona so that we weren't bothered by any smoke. The folks from Lunt
Instruments had a nice 152mm apo-refractor with one of their H-alpha filters
incorporated into the telescope. I noted very nice views of surface detail on
the solar disk and a nice loop prominence along with several other prominences
around the perimeter.  There were at least 50 observers with cameras and
telescopes scattered around the Wahweap Outlook which was one of the areas
monitored by the Parks Service to keep the crowds semi-controlled. It seemed to
work. Buses from the visitor center brought about 5 loads of passengers up to
the site well before annularity. I was concerned the buses would be operating
during the event and raising a lot of dust, but they stopped running about half
an hour before annularity, much to the chagrin of a group of teenagers who
thought they would leave early. They actually stuck around and seemed to enjoy
the spectacle, but they were on the first bus to leave. I brought a pair of
20x100 binoculars to view the annular and I'm glad I did. I had to make a pair
of 3.5-inch solar filters at close to the last moment since the filters I
ordered from Thousand Oaks weren't delivered in time and it looks like they
won't even make it for the Venus Transit. Thanks to John Gross for giving me
some of his film and thanks to those who offered me some of theirs. The view
was excellent and I had great white light views of the number of sunspot groups
visible on the surface and watched as the moon occulted each one. I had enough
magnification to be able to see the edge of the Moon's irregularities which was
to be important at the 2nd and 4th contacts when the Baily's Beads phenomenon
would manifest itself. Of course, since I needed to leave the filters in place
the Beads appeared as fine brushes as the lunar and solar surfaces interacted.
It's a quick phenomenon and I wasn't able to record it, but I wasn't really set
up for photography. I held my little Kodak (supposedly) Easy Share camera
behind the eyepiece and surprisingly got a few decent shots when there wasn't
any time pressure. The buses started taking the impatient teenagers and others
back to the visitor's center and we left around 7:15pm as the sun was setting
and the moon had mostly departed the sun's surface. As we were driving into
Page we noticed that the partially eclipsed sun was disappearing behind a
mountain ridge and pulled off the road to witness the sunset. We thought it
looked like a shark fin - a very cool sight! One thing to note about Page,
though, is that the town rolls up its sidewalks at 7pm and we had to settle for
a Mexican restaurant, not our first choice, but, fortunately, the food was
pretty good. I was happy with our eclipse trip even though it was "only" an
annular. We had a good group to travel with, the weather was perfect, and no
equipment failure. What more can you ask for? Anyway, now it's time to get
ready for the Venus transit. Let's hope for similar results!
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)