[austechwriter] Re: re working in other states with management companies

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:53:40 +1000

<User fervently agrees about the nightcaps>

My favourite is a double airbed with a cigarette lighter powered pump. Take
the front seat headrests off, slide front seat forward, lay it back, lay the
backseats down, airbed over the top. I have found most small hatchbacks are
suitable for this trick. Then, when doing it in Canberra in winter, parked
up at black mountain tower or red hill, when you wake up freezing you switch
the ignition on and turn the heater onto flat out. Start with demist, warms
the top up quickly, then run it on feet for at least 10 minutes. It will
warm the airbed and provide enough heat for the rest of the night.

Additionally, <user drags himself forcibly back on topic>, if one is staying
for _weeks_ at a place, as our dear original poster is, you have extra
options. Camping during the warmer months is certainly an option, but I
*like* camping :-) I have been known to pitch a tent at the base of black
mountain tower at the site for it for a few weeks. As I was single at the
time, when I got lucky I would stay at her place :-) Again, both scenarios
requiring nightcaps still :-)

However, USE YOUR BUYING POWER.

1) Pitch yourself as a commercial traveller

2) If the motel has no weekly rate you flat out tell em you will pay for 5
nights and they can give the other two nights free. If they do, you haggle a
20% commercial traveller's discount. This _always_ works in off seasons.
Peak season, not so good.

3) If this will be a regular occurence for you, join the Commercial
Traveller's Association. I used to market to NSW country, country driving
six weeks out of seven for a year so I joined them. There's also NRMA
discounts at Flag Inns blah blah. There's a CTA motel in every major city.
In Sydney it's in Martin Place.

There is always a lot of cheap rooms going. I'm not too fussy, I just need a
bed and access to toilets / showers. I usually drive somewhere scenic, turn
up scooby doo on the radio, read a magazine / book, and go 'home' when
tired. Kinda like being married really... HAHAHAHAHAH. Let alone I prefer
10-12 hr days min when working so far from home so I can maximise the
returns and get out quick.

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
Email:      steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Products:   http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 728 pages of dump left and dropping...