[austechwriter] Re: re working in other states with management companies

  • From: "Christine Birtley-Kent" <birtley_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:23:06 +1000

Re management companies, I think their knowledge base and service skills
vary quite considerably between companies.  I took a contract on the gold
coast that required insurance I did not have.  I started with one management
company who got very confused when I insisted that all I wanted was the
insurance and nothing else.  They insisted in turn that it could not be
done.  I switched to another company who were superb - they sorted out weeks
of accumulated mess and got money to me within a couple of days.  I have
decided that, for my next contract, I will experiment with the 'total deal'
with this company as I am so fed up with company administrivia.  ERISA - are
you getting the $400.00 living away from home allowance?

Re accommodation, I found that, on the Gold Coast, with the down turn of
tourism, you can negotiate deals for 'tourist' rather than 'business'
accommodation.  If you are prepared to go 'down-market' you can get very
good deals indeed.  In addition, I am travelling with my dog, which severely
complicates things.  I started in a fairly upmarket place near Surfers for
$1000 for a month (normally $100.00 per night).  I then advertised for a
share house, got lots of replies, and moved into one for $100.00 per week.
I didn't like that so moved to a very run down but clean and dog-friendly
beachfront motel for $165.00 a week (normally $50.00 per night) - where I
stayed for the rest of my contract.

I think the key is to think creatively - break away from the normal concept
of 'business' accommodation  - although I think this would be very hard
without a car.  Having my car with me was key to being able to take
accommodation a bit out of the way.  Having a dog with me may also have been
another key - I travel with the guides to dog-friendly accommodation.  This
accommodation is often so far 'down-market' that no-one else wants to stay
there.  ;-)

Regards, Christine

Ph: +61 7 4958 3107
Mobile: 0407 604010