[austechwriter] re working in other states with management companies

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Australian Technical Writers List <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 12:46:32 +1000

Erisa Linsky wrote,
>     If contracting in Canberra it is virtually impossible to be self
> employed unless you have a company...  So you sign your contract over to
> a management company who ... will charge you
>5% percent of your income... [followed by details]

Erisa, I've never needed to use a management company, but 5% sounded quite
reasonable to me -- thought not, of course, if they don't do a good job.
I'll be interested to hear from anyone else with experience.

You mentioned they
>pay you your money, part in wages and part in reimbursements for expenses
>incurred.

This sounds good, in theory. Later you said they don't recognise as many of
your expenses as you think they should. In that case, can't you deduct
those expenses from your taxable income on your tax return? (I realise
that's not much help to your cash flow in the short term.) I would also
consult a tax accountant about the expenses of finding accomodation, phone
costs, etc; quite possibly they are deductible too. Or have you done that
and been told they aren't?

You mentioned high accommodation costs in Canberra. I suggest you look in
Queanbeyan, which is the town just across the ACT border to the east. Costs
are typically very much lower there than for any short-term accommodation
in the ACT, and some motels have rooms with kitchenettes. I'm not sure
about serviced apartments as such in that area.

Aside to Steve Hudson -- Steve we know you're a grot, but sleeping in the
car in a Canberra winter? That's a bit much!

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Technical Editors' Eyrie  http://www.jeanweber.com/