atw: Re: SnagIt graphics via Word to PDF

  • From: Naomi Kramer <nkr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:12:01 +1000

Dear all

I have been cruising the archives for some resolution on this subject and
have retreated in terror.

I feel your pain :)

(snip)

1 What file type do I use for the SnagIt captures?

I've usually gotten best results with bitmaps. MS Office programs seem happiest with them.

2 Do I change the colours ('bit') for that file type?

I wouldn't have thought that would help :-/

3 If scaling is the problem, how to I insert sensibly scaled images into Word (I am not going to use full sized images), so that Distiller likes them?

Do you have Photoshop? If so, you should be able to set it up to run through a number of images and automatically resize them - and save under a different filename.

4 What settings do I use in PDF Distiller for both on-line and printed display?

If your images are coming out 'wrong', I'd be suspecting the Distiller image compression. Check the Conversion Settings and see how it's compressing the various types of images. Try turning off all image compression, and set your dpi as high as possible (2400?). This'll probably take ages and give you a HUGE pdf file, but at least you should know whether the problem's with Distiller or Word/images.

5 OR what two settings do I use if it is not possible to have one
version?

I've generally found that Distiller's Print and Screen profiles are fine.

Is there anybody out there who has a neat solution to this?

None that would be useful to you. I use OpenOffice Writer, which has far fewer options in PDF creation but does a fantastic, quick job.

Does the rest help?  I'd try changing the Distiller settings first, btw.

- Naomi