atw: SnagIt graphics via Word to PDF

  • From: "Christine Birtley-Kent" <christine.bk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:45:41 +1000

Dear all

I have been cruising the archives for some resolution on this subject and
have retreated in terror.  There's lots of information and seemingly no
'monkey see, monkey do' solutions. I could spend hours reading the dummies
guide to graphics and testing every possible combination and permutation,
but I am sure someone must have already resolved this problem.

If there is already a solution for dummies in the archives somewhere,
perhaps someone could just direct me to the link?

So here goes.

1       I am using SnagIt to capture images.  Some I am leaving as coloured
and some I am converting to inverted greyscale.
2       I am inserting them into a table in Word as links which means they
scale automatically to the table cell size.  They look perfect and print
perfectly in Word.
3       I am converting the Word documents to PDF which has to be both
viewed on-line and printed.

What could be simpler?  But they are now a fuzzy mess both on-line and
printed, so how do I get good PDF resolution for both displays?

1       What file type do I use for the SnagIt captures?
2       Do I change the colours ('bit') for that file type?
3       If scaling is the problem, how to I insert sensibly scaled images
into Word (I am not going to use full sized images), so that Distiller likes
them?
4       What settings do I use in PDF Distiller for both on-line and printed
display?
5       OR what two settings do I use if it is not possible to have one
version?

Is there anybody out there who has a neat solution to this?

Christine