atw: How's that again?

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <Allan.Charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:25:02 +1000

In my lunchtime reading of the Sydney Morning Herald I saw an article
about a new video memory chip from Samsung.

In part, the article said:
> The new high-speed graphics solution runs at up to
> 8.0 GigaBytes per second (Gbps), which is 70 per cent
> faster than current conventional 1.2 Gbps devices.

I'm confused.
My arithmetic is obviously wrong, because I believed that
1.2 + (70% of 1.2) = about 2.04, not 8.0.

Will someone please explain what "70 per cent faster" means?

Perhaps the idiot who wrote this rubbish meant "7 times as fast".

The article can be found at this horribly long URL:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/new-chip-sends-half-a-million-pages-of-data-a-second/2005/06/21/1119321722574.html

Allan

confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.