atw: Re: How's that again?

  • From: "Brian Clarke" <brianclarke01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:21:17 +1000

Hi Allan,

Nothing wrong with your maths. There is another hypothesis
- that all journalists are mathematically literate. One tests
such an hypothesis by finding an example that does not
support it. You just found it - again.

When a journalist says X is 70% faster, slower, bigger,
smaller than Y and you ask what that means, the usual
answer you get, is:
"I just wrote what the SME told me. I'm just the reporter."

At one stage in the evolution of computer terminology, it
used to be the case the 'b' stood for bit and 'B' stood for
Byte.

Now a Byte is supposed to be 8 bits. You have quoted
8 Gbps, which should be 8 Giga bits per second, which
is supposed to be 1 GBps - which, in turn, is not faster
than a 1.2 GBps device.

Was there ever truth in advertising? or in advertorials? or
in infotorials? Are all swans white? I rest my case, m'lud.

Regards,
Brian.