atw: Re: Security clearance closed shop

  • From: <Debbie.Hope@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:03:45 +1100

G'day
There will probably be many responses to your post but - I will at least
start it up-------------

Anything around the Highly Protected rating COST big $$$$s. So if you =
work
for an organisation and get a Secret, Top Secret negative, Top Secret
positive higher (need to know, Delta etc), then that organisation has =
shelled
out a LOT of money.
The higher the clearance, the longer it actually takes to process - last =
was involved in it all, Top Secret was taking about 8 months to come =
through
and was costing WELL over the $2500 mark....=20
All sorts of government security agencies and interviews are involved in =
the
process (the higher level of the application the more agencies and =
interviews
are involved)

Somebody can probably advise on how long the clearances are valid for - =
but
again, that depends on the level and where - (for example, ATO, Customs,
Foreign Affairs and the big Daddy - Defence and their 'partners'.

Yep it is a PAIN if you haven't got one, but by golly if there is a lot =
of
work about in Canberra and you have a clearance - then you can be very
attractive contract-wise. As you said though there seems to be an =
assumption
that there is pool of high clearance TWs out there just waiting around =
to be
offered a job....

I personally don't believe the ads are fakes, but then again I think =
when the
agencies get wind of a big contract/tender about to be let then they =
madly
advertise hoping to attract a swag of candidates that they can 'claim' =
as
theirs and then they are ready to submit the tender response.

Cheers
Debbie