atw: Re: Security clearance closed shop

  • From: "Anna Windebank" <anna.windebank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:52:31 +1100

Hi Christine et al,
My understanding is exactly as others on the list have already commented -
i.e. that it is not possible to obtain a clearance without being supported
by a government agency (Catch 22 - my favourite book btw) and that depending
on the level of clearance, it can take months to obtain and costs an awful
lot of money.  I don't believe many agencies would put out fake job ads in
order to attract candidates with security clearance, however it is possible.
If I personally wanted to attract these people for a tender or a specific
client, I would make that clear in the ad so as not to mislead.

We have a number of clients, particularly in Canberra, which approach
recruitment agencies specifically to find candidates with current clearances
- this is because they need people urgently and cannot wait for clearances
to come through, i.e.. the work is urgent.  These are often consultancies
which have won tenders for large pieces of work and then do not have
sufficient staff to fill the individual roles.

It is frustrating that perhaps in many cases, these departments don't
foresee this work needing to be done, and therefore recruit earlier with a
view to getting the individual cleared in time for the commencement of the
project.  However, even if they do make arrangements in advance, would
jobseekers sit around for up to 8 months, waiting for a clearance and not
take other opportunities if they came up?  The answer is, unless extremely
rich and working for love not money, no.  There must be hundreds of
situations where a government agency has put someone through clearance, only
to find that they have accepted another job in the meantime, so leaving them
with no other option than to look for those with a "current clearance".

It is also frustrating for us as recruiters - the only way I have got around
this in the past (and this does of course depend on the sensitivity of the
work) is to suggest that a general police check be conducted which takes 24
hours and that the individual then be chaperoned either for the duration of
the project, or until the clearance comes through.  This is very rarely
possible but always worth asking.  Please do bear in mind though, when
speaking to recruitment agencies, that there is only so much we can do!  We
can make suggestions and advise, but if we push something too far with a
client, we risk damaging that relationship which may result in us obtaining
no further work from them which won't help anyone!

Finally, in terms of how long a clearance stays valid, this depends again on
the level.

I think the only way around this is for the government to address security
clearances in a similar way to the way they look at allocation of business
visas for skilled people from overseas.  They should assess where the needs
are and then allow individuals to apply for their own clearance, and if
necessary yes, the individual can pay their own way if not supported by a
department for a particular job.

The other option of course, is to take on a perm role in a department with a
view to getting the clearance once in there but I know many of you who
wouldn't consider that option!

If there are alternatives, I would like to hear them too as it would make my
job a million times easier!

Cheers
Anna
P.S. sorry for the essay!