atw: Re: Security clearance closed shop

  • From: <Debbie.Hope@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:32:09 +1100

<<<Does a low level clearance facilitate getting work at a higher level
clearance>>>>> - sometimes - the theory is though that if you are =
cleared to
a low level that you really shouldn't be doing higher level work------

<<<<<<<-are they more likely to take you with a lower level clearance, =
rather
than no clearance, pending a higher level being obtained?>>>>>>>. - yes, =
cos
some of initial work has been done - a low level - 'protected' andd =
possibly
'highly protected' (can't remember) only require a police check..As I =
said in
my earlier post as you go up the ladder of levels, the more agencies are
involved, ASIO (for internal security) and so on, through various =
'spook'
departments

<<<<If so, can you apply for it - and through whom?>>>>> - no you can't =
apply
yourself - all has to be initiated though the organisation that you are
working for...

This makes sense if you think about it. If you get a contract or a perm
position with an organisation, then you would assume that they have done =
some
basic checking about you beforehand, for example, referees, prev work =
history
etc.

If you walk in off the street to your local security vetting agency - =
you
could be 'anyone'. Mr Local Terrorist trying to get a job, Mr Local =
Chinese
Spy etc etc.

There are different types of clearance as well remember - the what I =
call
'commercial' clearance - protected - highly protected etc etc then you =
move
over into the Defence / Foreign Affairs type clearances - confidential,
highly confidential, Secret - Top Secret - Top Secret negative vetting - =
Top
Secret Positive vetting - etc etc=20

Debbie