atw: Re: Making Iterative Back-Ups of Work-In-Progress Files (Was: More on Word 2010)

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:22:39 +1000

In summary, is it worth exploring with your client possible other reasons
for all these crashes.  This might turn into a blog articles -
troubleshooting crashes.

Word may be the trigger for the crashes but is not the cause. Word ALONE
does not cause these crashes. If it was the CAUSE, my computer would also be
crashing all the time, so there is another variable. I think this is the
danger in routinely dismissing all problems as Word problems - and if we do
this we assume we don't need to explore other options.

As I said, I worked through an entire catalogue of terrible old files (using
my own computer and Word 2007) and I personally did not experience crashes
except the inevitable late afternoon memory glug up issues which still
happened in 2007 but have not happened in 2010 - and are easily solved with
a re-boot.  So Word ALONE cannot be the problem.  Word alongside other
hardware or software issues can be the problem. Solve the other issues and
the Word issue dematerialises.

So I would still want to go through some kind of routine to determine what
the CAUSE is that Word is triggering.  My approach would be something like
this.

.         HARDWARE PROBLEM. If people are working on sluggish systems make
sure they reboot at lunchtime and switch off at night.  Many people leave
their computers running which is a disaster waiting to happen in my
experience. It will be the operating system that crashes.

.         OPERATING SYSTEM PROBLEM. If any of the computers are running
Vista, get rid of it, non-negotiable. Not that really was a Microsoft
disaster! Again, it will be the operating system that crashes. If using 2007
or 2010, upgrade to Windows 7.

.         WORD PROBLEM. Turn all the saves back on except background saves -
that's always posed a problem since the year dot.  I have it turned on and
it has caused no problems for me, but historically it has been a problem
with earlier versions.

.         WORD TEMPLATE PROBLEM. Explore what the client is doing with
templates.  It might be easier to create and attach new templates rather
than fixing crashes, if my guess about templates in on the ball (and it is
only a guess).

And if I was working with systems that crashed all the time, I would also
want all manner of failsafe backups until I worked out why.