atw: Making Iterative Back-Ups of Work-In-Progress Files (Was: More on Word 2010)

  • From: Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:43:33 +1000

I wanted to get back to everyone on this, just to say a few things about backing up iterative (successive) versions of work-in-progress files, with a bit more detail / explanation:

– I think it is a very good idea to keep a daily (or more frequent, if appropriate to the work being done) "backup" copy of work-in-progress files, with the date and even time (if done more frequently than daily) in the file name. I really very strongly recommend it. As the document being worked on continues to change and develop as the days go by, these files are point-in-time snapshots that allow you to go back to what was previously in the document whenever the client changes their mind about changes that have been made (and, e.g., since accepted, if change tracking is being used) and wants to roll-back to earlier content, and this is where I find them most useful. But, should the document unexpectedly crash on any one day and it can't be recovered (not likely, but it does and can happen), these files are then also available as backup copies, as at the close of the previous working day, to use as a starting point in re-doing any work that has been lost through the document crash. As mentioned in my mails yesterday, I have regularly and successfully recovered Word 2007 documents over the last 2 years or so that weren't repaired using Autorecover and couldn't be recovered using "Open and Repair" ... the documents would open in 2007 but then either Word 2007 would freeze or the document would crash again (is what the clients told me). But, there have also been two Word 2007 documents that crashed, couldn't be recovered by the client and I was also unable to recover them, and many days of work were lost in those cases (the clients not being good at keeping separate backup copies – the documents in questions not being ones I was working on).

– The reason I use zip files for iterative backups is to give me TWO back-up copies on the same hard drive, instead of having two documents with the same file names (except that Windows 7 insists on adding a "(2)" to one of the files, thereby making the filename prefix different). So whether any file compression is achieved or not is beside the point, hard disk space is extremely cheap, particularly with a 3TB backup drive for work documents only. Having a second copy of my daily backups in zip format is a personal preference only, and note that I have my system set up so that zip files look like zip files and not folders, so the two files end up being listed on the screen next to each other. I move files onto separate physical storage about once a week, so having the two soft copies available allows for disasters happening with one of the copies, it's just good file management for those of us who are extremely paranoid about file disasters that aren't going to happen, but did, and have paid the price in the past for not having a less-than-trusting attitude about the stability of files, including damage that can be done to some of them (but very rarely all or even the majority) if a hard drive crashes. I only very occasionally need to rely on a second (zip) copy, but having a second copy available of a previous version of a document I've been working on at the time has been very, very handy over the years.

– In relation to using Autosave in MS Word (refer to Christine's blog page as per the link below), everyone needs to be aware that Autosave DOES NOT save a full copy of the document you are working on, CANNOT be fully trusted to do what it is supposed to do (as advised by Microsoft, and from experience), and my recommendation is to turn it OFF because when it is turned on, it sometimes (very rarely, but it does happen) causes the document being working on to crash. But, please note, I only recommend turning it off for those who are already in the habit of frequently doing a full save (i.e. a normal File - Save) while working. If you are not in the habit of doing that, then Autosave does offer a better level of protection against losing work. As Microsoft says (at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686), the following words in capitals are mine for emphasis, and this applies to Word 97, 2000, 2003, 2007 or 2010, "AutoRecover or AutoSave DOES NOT REPLACE THE SAVE COMMAND. YOU SHOULD USE THE SAVE COMMAND TO SAVE YOUR DOCUMENT AT REGULAR INTERVALS and when you finish working on it."

– I wasn't able to find anything on Christine's blog page (as per the link below) about a built-in back-up function in Word. Separate to what's on Christine's page, I'm aware that Word allows different versions to all be saved in the same document, but this is not really a back-up because you still end up with only a single file. If Christine meant that Autosave and Autorecover are "back-up" tools (I'll allow Christine to answer that), then, sorry, they're not. If anyone out there knows of a back-up function in Word (even if it is only in 2007 or 2010 and that's why I don't know about it, having "only" 2004), i.e. that produces separate backup files to a nominated location which is not necessarily the working directory and may be on separate physical media, please let me know.

Neil.

On 18/07/2011 10:31 AM, Christine Kent wrote:

On zip files

As an aside, there is no point zipping .docx or .docm files.  They already ARE zip files.  If you rename a .docx to .zip, you can open it as a zip and see the component files. You cannot achieve much zipping a zip file.

On backups

Word itself has a very reliable way of ensuring you DO have backup files and I suggest you check out my blog at http://christinekent.blogspot.com/2011/05/recovering-lost-documents.html and make sure you get all your settings correct so you DO have the necessary range of backup files – automatically.  You need a fairly substantial IQ to grasp and remember it all, so a better course of action may be to keep my blog address handy to remind you next time you need it – once you have set your settings.

************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************