atw: More on Word 2010

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:37:14 +1000

Guys

Let's try to be a little bit more constructive when dealing with the
limitations of Word.

It is unfair of you "experts" to continue terrorise less experiences users
when most of that fear is baseless.

Firstly, almost all the problems are experienced by advanced users who push
the product to its absolute limits.  Novice to average users will rarely
knock the product over.

Secondly, If you are working with legacy documents, which of course, most
organisations are, you DO need one person in an organisation that
understands the issues that get brought forward from 2003 and earlier as you
MAY get some corruptions. You will find that the corruptions are part of
your existing documents and templates that were created in 2003 and earlier,
and my guess is that the problems stem largely from old templates that are
attached to the documents, rather than from within the documents themselves.
My evidence for this assertion is that, over a period of 27 months, I
updated the ENTIRE catalogue of Software Publications legacy and extremely
dirty documents (2003 and earlier) with NOT ONE SINGLE CORRUPTION of the old
documents. These documents were so badly created in the first place that
none was attached to a template or had paths to any template other than the
default Normal. With every document I worked on, I attached the existing
document to a new template.  This has, I believe, to be significant, and so
you people, as the presumed experts, should understand that your first
course of action if there is a corruption is to create a new template and
attach it to the old document.

Thirdly, I have been using 2007 and 2010 since pre-release. In that time I
have written and published numerous books from scratch, using new templates.
In about 4-5 years of pushing Word to its limits as a desktop publishing
tool, something that Word does not claim to be, I have only two very obscure
corruption emerge, one of which solved itself when I re-booted, and one
which related to the conversion from Word to PDF and printing through a
printing press - not exactly a problem most people will encounter.  Oh, and
there is a bug in trying to publish directly from Word to Blogger, but
publishing to Wordpress is fine - again, a pretty obscure problem but very
annoying if you use Blogger as I do.

Fourthly, we all know there are two aspects of Word that are dreadfully
designed, bullets and numbering, and floating graphics.  That is it - they
are dreadfully designed, but they do NOT corrupt.  If you were to take the
time and effort to learn and understand the rules behind them, you COULD
master them.  I personally HAVE mastered bullets and numbering.  I
personally HAVE NOT taken the time to master floating graphics and prefer to
use tables to control layout using in-line graphics. But the rules are there
and if you can follow the rules, so will the graphics.

Christine