[austechwriter] Re: Resumes - should interests be included

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <meldixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:06:10 +1000

Evening Mel. Some good responses up there, I am firmly in the yes camp, but
also put them at the very end.

However, and this is going to sound snide or arrogant but I really don't
mean it that way, I was somewhat surprised that none of our little tech
writing audience picked up on the best reason for including interests, but
that is possibly because the CMM 4+ companies are few and far between.

A proper HR department also ensures there is a social club. Part of a proper
induction is the obtaining of new employee interests and matching them
against existing staff. If the resume includes it, this can be done
pre-arrival after acceptance, simplifying the induction process. This way
you easily form an instant contact circle of buddies which is and has been a
standard method for induction for many centuries or more. These buddies tell
you all the dumb-assed newbie stuff the forms forget or point you to where
it is doco'd :-)

Ideally your resume gets snipped into little bits and scattered to the
relevant databases, most fields have a HR purpose as well. Of course, most
companies (CMM 0-1) file the resume never to come out again at best, and
trash them afterwards as the normal.

I think the local big blue reps, IBM-GSA, have even used them to arrange
seating at corporate dinners before.

Besides which, with 20/20 hindsight, listing Star Trek was extremely
advantageous wherever I have been. LOL!

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
Email:      steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Products:   http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 728 pages of dump left and dropping...