[austechwriter] Re: Resumes - should interests be included

  • From: "Rob Partridge" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:49:52 +1000

I list my interests on my resume. Way down at the bottom. When I have
hired people, I liked to read what people do in their spare
time. I like to know that they have a life outside of work. It
adds colour to the standard 2-dimensional resume. I'd never use it as
a primary factor in a hiring decision, but it might make me more
interested in someone if there is a close race. In addition, it
provides an easy way of relaxing a candidate in an interview to
ask them about their skydiving, or interest in nematode worms.

Obviously don't list it if it might offend or stand against you
(robs banks or commits internet fraud in spare time), but I don't
see the harm provided it is signposted and is out of the way of
other more important information.

I don't like reading those resumes that try to make a work-related
point for everything. Not everything needs to connect to work. And if
it does connect it doesn't have to be stated. You could bring this out
in interview if necessary. I'm intelligent enough to make a connection
between say fund-raising for the local scouts and benefits to my
company. But listing something like chess and then stating that it
promotes logical thought, forward planning, multi-tasking and strategy,
will just make me think you are trying too hard. You play chess because
you enjoy it.

Rob Partridge

-----