[austechwriter] Re: Must, will, etc. - modals

  • From: "Peter G. Martin" <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:26:18 +1000

Petra Liverani:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:41:40 +1000, you are alleged to have=
 written:
[snip]...

>What I'd like to see is an example of simple present tense used=
 for
>instructions. You don't say, for example:
>
>You put the disk into the machine.
>You press the start button
>You blah blah
>
>You say:
>Put the disk into the machine
>Press the start button
>
>Imperative, Steve, not simple present.

Hey, wait a bit, you two!    Let's get this straight:

They're not alternatives, or simple vs complex variations.

Both sets above represent "simple" present.

One set is in present tense, indicative mode, active voice.

The other set is in present tense, imperative mode, active=
 voice.

English verbs can have:

1. tense
2. mode
3. voice

And I don't see that using a present tense imperative mode works=
 in all cases
where there is a need for an absolute or strongly emphasised=
 requirement for a
procedure to be carried out.

For example, in safety issues:

Turn off the gas.

doesn't quite work the same way as

You must turn off the gas.

And

You shall turn off the gas

sounds like something out of the North Shore, Berkshire, or Tom=
 Brown's
Schooldays.    Quaint, but inadequate as communication when most=
 of the
population turns "will" and "shall" into "'ll", even if they do=
 see a
difference.

-Peter G. Martin,
Technical writer, Proxima Technology