[austechwriter] Re: Must, will, etc. - modals

  • From: "Petra Liverani" <petsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:01:56 +1000

Steve,

I have no idea what you're talking about. The infinitive is "to + verb",
that is, the verb by itself, where it does not express time and is not
attached to a subject. "Will" can be used with "be" to refer to events in
the future as it can be used with any other verb. What is your point? My
point is not to say that "will" does not refer to the future - what I'm
saying is that it is not a simply a future marker. Often, it refers to an
event in the future but with an added meaning (for example, determination to
do something -  I will so go to the party) and it may also be used in
situations where the future is not involved  - or barely (that'll be John at
the door, that'll be $10.50, Will you please shut up!). Probably, most often
when we are talking about what we're going to do in the future (with no
added meaning) we use the present continuous - I'm going to England next
week.

Petra