Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional freezes.

  • From: Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamilton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:26:40 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4bc2a74952.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2011  Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamilton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <caae7f3f52.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [Snip]

> >> I have been getting the occasional solid freeze of the machine, with
> >> alt-break, control-break and the reset button not working; I have to
> >> switch off and re-start, which is always a bit worrying.

[Snip]

> >> Any ideas would be welcome, and thanks in advance,

> > Worth a try, unplug and replug any USB devices to see what happens.
> > When the keyboard is replugged do the status lights still reflect
> > Caps lock etc? Does Alt-break now work?

> Tried that, with no effect, but read on ...

> I'm getting nearer a diagnosis, but no idea yet of what to do to solve
> the problem. Relevant points so far:

> If something is running when the freeze happens then it continues
> running; so far this has been with TaskUsage and a couple of
> screensavers. (I use 7th Software's Random to pick from a list of
> eight savers, and the freeze has happened with two of these running.)

It looks as though the USB system is locking up.

> I've tried changing round the USB ports that the keyboard and mouse
> use, and the only difference is that the Num-lock led now comes on at
> start-up, but I still have to turn on the F-lock one manually.

> What I've now belatedly noticed is that when the freeze happens both
> of these LEDs go out. Am I right in thinking that this must mean that
> it's a hardware problem somewhere to do with USB?

It appears your USB ports are losing power which is why you cannot
Alt-Break out of anything. If you try plugging the keyboard into
different USB sockets do you get any lights from any of them?

You could run !Num-On from the Utilities download on my website. If you
press the Num lock button on the keyboard to switch the light off, my app
will switch it back on shortly afterwards. This makes it easier to check
if the keyboard is responding as long as an app hasn't locked up too.

[Snip]

> Or should I just try another keyboard and mouse? If so, can I have
> recommendations, please?

It's possible a USB device is triggering the fault. See if you can get a
response from any of the USB sockets once a freeze has occurred.

Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (Iyonix/ARMini) http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

List-related queries to support@xxxxxxxxxxxx