Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional freezes.

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:41:32 GMT

On 19 Dec 2011  Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamilton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <caae7f3f52.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Snip]

>> I have been getting the occasional solid freeze of the machine, with
>> alt-break, control-break and the reset button not working; I have to
>> switch off and re-start, which is always a bit worrying. Most, and
>> perhaps all, of the times this happens, the blue LED at the left side
>> of the machine (memory stick?) is continually flashing, as if
>> something had got stuck in a loop. Obviously, there are no error
>> messages to retrieve.

> [Snip]

>> Any ideas would be welcome, and thanks in advance,

> Worth a try, unplug and replug any USB devices to see what happens. When
> the keyboard is replugged do the status lights still reflect Caps lock
> etc? Does Alt-break now work?

Tried that, with no effect, but read on ...

I'm getting nearer a diagnosis, but no idea yet of what to do to solve
the problem. Relevant points so far:

If something is running when the freeze happens then it continues
running; so far this has been with TaskUsage and a couple of
screensavers. (I use 7th Software's Random to pick from a list of
eight savers, and the freeze has happened with two of these running.)

I've tried changing round the USB ports that the keyboard and mouse
use, and the only difference is that the Num-lock led now comes on at
start-up, but I still have to turn on the F-lock one manually.

What I've now belatedly noticed is that when the freeze happens both
of these LEDs go out. Am I right in thinking that this must mean that
it's a hardware problem somewhere to do with USB? Obviously, I can't
run USBKick when the keyboard and mouse don't work, so should I take a
deep breath, delve into the machine and check that the USB ports are
properly connected? (Remember this machine was bashed round during
transit, and I had to reconnect the SSD disc.) But then why doesn't
the reset button work during a freeze? If I do need to do this I have
no idea what I'm looking for; the picture of the machine's innards in
the manual doesn't seem to tally with what I see, and the reference
PDF file mentioned in the ARMini manual doesn't seem to be on the HD.
And if I do need to check inside, what sort of precautions should I
take?

Or should I just try another keyboard and mouse? If so, can I have
recommendations, please?

Many thanks again for everyone's help,

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.