Re: [ARMini-support] Occasional freezes.

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:18:52 GMT

On 10 Dec 2011  Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apologies to Andrew if he feels that this would have been better as a
> support message, but I wondered if others have had this problem; it's
> entirely different from the freeze at start-up which has a thread
> running at present.

> I have been getting the occasional solid freeze of the machine, with
> alt-break, control-break and the reset button not working; I have to
> switch off and re-start, which is always a bit worrying. Most, and
> perhaps all, of the times this happens, the blue LED at the left side
> of the machine (memory stick?) is continually flashing, as if
> something had got stuck in a loop. Obviously, there are no error
> messages to retrieve.

[snip]

Apologies for replying to my own posting, but nobody else has done.

After posting this, and with not using wget, I had no more freezes for
five days, so I thought wget might be the culprit. After that, they
started to happen again, completely out of the blue. When they happen,
the blue LED just inside the left of the box flashes six or seven
times in quick succession every five seconds or so, suggesting that
something has got stuck somewhere.

As nobody else seems to get these freezes, I wondered of they were due
to some app that others might not use. For the last two days I've been
monitoring what the loaded apps are doing using TaskUsage, and have
come up with a distinct oddity, Keystroke, loaded at start-up,
normally behaves, but on occasions it can use up all the available
processor time. Even odder, I've seen it using what TaskUsage says is
105% of the processor time, and the highest total processor usage I've
seen in 127%! As I type, Keystroke is using anything between 1 and 80%
of processor usage; when it behaves it rarely goes over 10%. For those
who don't know it, Keystroke is written in BASIC, but loads a module
that Verma reports as 32-bit ready. Following Sod's law, the freeze
hasn't happened yet today, so I'm unable to report processor usage
when it does happen.

This is way beyond my understanding, but could a knowledgeable person
be able to confirm that Keystroke is the likely culprit? If so, I'll
reluctantly have to do without it.

Thanks in advance,

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.