[argyllcms] Re: Spyder

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:24:51 +1000

Stefan Döhla wrote:

I recently posted some of my findings on my blog at
http://colorhacks.blogspot.com/ - basically I discovered mcalib which
seems to be using libusb for driving the Huey. I haven't tested it -
although I have a Huey at home now.

Hmm. Someone's done some work, but from looking over it,
it currently has a few problems (ie. the LCD measurement mode
is missing the "measure/read red" command - in fact
the LCD mode doesn't seem to be supported since the "calib"
parameter to measure is being ignored etc.),
but the most worrying thing is that it seems like a pretty
straight transliteration of the MSWindows CirrusSDK.dll
(bits of assembler, function names, variable names,
 code sequences identical etc.)
- so I don't like it's chances of being free of copyright issues.

The Huey is actually quite similar in its operation to
the Eye-One Display 2/LT (go figure - it's probably from the
same Sequel imaging development team), so my driver borrows
an awful lot from my existing i1display driver, in which
I've tried rather hard to express the functionality in
a completely original way.

An implication though, is that at least on some systems
HID device + usb_detach_kernel_driver_np() seems to work.
Maybe the problem I have is particular to the version of
HID driver or Linux usb driver on my system.