[argyllcms] Re: Some clarification about profile generation and verification

  • From: Magnus Berg <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:27:17 +0200

Datacolor was impressingly fast to answer. But the answer was not that
impressing.

I publish my question to Datacolor first and Datacolors answer after
that... Then we can start the discussion. :-)

My question:
"Hi!

I got a brand new NEC 2690wuxi2 wide gammut display. I have, after that
i bought a Spyder 3, read all over the internet that Spyder 3 lacks wide
gammut support. But now I found an article that tells:
"Usually if the sensor and software is more than a year or two old it is
filtered and configured to respond to the much smaller color gamut of
home/office monitor and displays; and using it with a new wide color
gamut display can result in a poor or even skewed, inaccurate
calibration and profile. I have found the most recent Spyder3 sensor and
software will work very effectively with new wide color gamut
professional displays and provide accurate calibration and profiling,
and the latest Spyder3 sensitometer will also work with other brand
software effectively like NEC’s Spectraview 2."

My question is:
Then did Spyder 3 got wide gammut support and how can I see how old my
device is, so I can found out if it is has wide gammut support or not???

On my Spyder 3 package I see "©2009". Does it have support for my
display NEC 2690wuxi2"

Datacolors answer:
"Dear Magnus

Thank you very much for your message and your faith in Datacolor products.

Please note, that our Spyder2 sensor has been construced more than 5 years ago
and is therefore no longer compatible with latest display technologies, such as
LED-Backlight, Wide-Gammut and screens with a glossy surface. But all our
Spyder3 products are fully compatible with all these latest display
technologies, also widegammut.

Hope we helped you solving your problem and answered your questions.
Feel free and don't hesitate to contact us again, in case you got further
questions/problems.

Thank you and best regards,

Raphael Graf

Datacolor AG