[argyllcms] Re: Some clarification about profile generation and verification

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:35:01 +0200

One of my friends sent his EyeOne Display 2 back to Switzerland for factory
recalibration/recertification. (It costs around the price of a new EyeOne
but I agree with him: A fresh recalibration/certification sounds much better
than buying an unknown thing in a box....)

They offered him a new measurement head with a new firmware which is able to
handle WCG and LED displays. It was expensive but yes, it is really WCG and
LED compatible now. (I chose to buy ColorMunki, so we could compare our
results ans we can "borrow" our instruments from each other if necessary...)

But X-rite or Datacolor won't note it on the box if it is WCG compatible or
not. And I think they don't sell them in retail shops these times.

But a ColorMunki or an EyeOne Pro just works. And the ColorMunki is not so
expensive (if we correlate it to the expensive colorimeters, because those
are cheaper hardwares for relatively big prices...).

And yes, may be it looks correct for you. It's your choice... until you want
to write a review about a display...
May be you will publish erroneous measures and you will judge the test
specimen based on your erroneous measures. So, I feel it is very dangerous!
(If you care about the quality of your reviews and your integrity, I would
suggest you to check your results with a spectrophotometer before you would
publish that review. Or at least make a note about this possible issue.)