[argyllcms] Re: Some clarification about profile generation and verification

  • From: Magnus Berg <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:03:51 +0200

Roger:
My Spyder 3 is not bought in bundle with my NEC 2690wuxi2.
As Andrea Olivotto I', satisfied with my calibration results. But I
haven't had any possibility to verify with another measuring device,
only my eyes. I don't trust them a lot because all those talks about the
Spyder 3:s shortcomings. Should I believe my eyes?

Andrea Olivotto:
As I wrote in my question to Datacolor I could read all over the
internet that Spyder 3 doesn't work with wide gamut displays. I don't
think there can be such a lot of mix up between Spyder 2 and 3. But it
can be a rumor about Spyder 3 that spread all over the internet that has
no substance. But even NEC believe that the early Spider 3 was bad and
newer ones are better but not good. NEC answer on two question on their
support site:
http://www.necdisplay.com/supportcenter/monitors/spectraview2/faq/
> QUESTION: Why is the Spyder2 color sensor not recommended for use with
> wide color gamut displays such as the LCD2690WUXi, LCD2690WUXi2,
> LCD3090WQXi, and P221W?
>
> ANSWER: Our evaluation of this device determined that the accuracy of
> measurements when used with wide color gamut displays could lead to
> large color errors. Therefore we do not recommend using this device on
> wide color gamut displays.
>
> QUESTION: Is the Spyder3 color sensor OK for use with wide color gamut
> displays such as the LCD2690WUXi, LCD2690WUXi2, LCD3090WQXi, and P221W?
>
> ANSWER: Some early production units did not produce acceptable
> results, however recent production units of the Spyder3 have shown
> some accuracy improvements when measuring wide color gamut displays.

In my question to Datacolor I ask "Does it [Spyder 3]have support for my
display NEC 2690wuxi2". The answer was yes. :-|