[argyllcms] Re: Neutralize Grey Axis

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:05:35 +0300

Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:41:56 +1100 Graeme Gill wrote:

> Klaus Karcher wrote:
> > Quote from ProfileMaker Documentation:
> > "Perceptual Rendering Intent Option
>
> > Note: This corresponds to relative colorimetry in highlight areas and
> > absolute colorimetry with shadow compensation in the remaining colors.
> > Note: The default and recommended setting is Neutral Gray.
>
> Hi Klaus,
> thanks for the clearer explanation. It's difficult to believe
> that the "Neutral Gray" option gives results that people actually find
> useful though, particularly for relative colorimetric.

The peoples are demand this for BW printing. I have two troubles with users of
"blue" cheap photopapers. The profiles from Profile Maker works much better for
them. The relative intent in ArgyllCMS profile was unacceptable on bluish
papers. I had return money for profiling.

> I can understand
> using this sort approach as a hybrid "absolute colorimetric" type intent,
> but the results with typical source colorspaces (ie. sRGB with a D65
> white point) could only look peculiar - very blue looking neutrals
> until they switch to the D50 paper white near white !
>
> > For example, if B/W and color images are positioned next to each other
> > in reproduction, the Paper Gray Axis option should be selected to
> > achieve the same impression in the neutral tones both in the B/W images
> > and in the color images.
>
> But side by side proofing should use absolute colorimetric, not relative!

There is a problem: if one select the absolute colorimetric intent while
printing, the clipping in highlights is happen.

> If someone wants to achieve a similar effect using Argyll, they can do so
> by creating a device link. Look at the -w option combined with
> absolute colorimetric <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/collink.html#w>.

Most of end users of ArgyllCMS profiles in my practice can't deal with device
links.