[argyllcms] Re: Neutralize Grey Axis

  • From: edmund ronald <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:02:36 +0100

Graeme, when viewing newsprint the viewer will adapt to paper white.
But when densely printed crop-framed photos are viewed, the adaptation
will be to an external white point; what it is I don't really know,
but I would say that flat white reflecting the ambient light makes as
much sense as some yellowish paper white. As for invoking the ICC, I
don't see much color science there, rather an enshrining of existing
print practice, and modern practitioners may take a different tack - I
personally hate "follow the party line" approaches in software, and
open source has usually made a point of catering to minorities.

Edmund