[argyllcms] Re: Calculate RAW importer profiles ?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:05:25 -0700

On Jul 27, 2015, at 4:50 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:

Graeme has never, in the decade or more I've been using Argyll, been nor
pretended to
be interested in "pleasing" color as opposed to colorimetric accuracy.

Not true. The perceptual gamut mapping is all about pleasing color.

Yes -- but I thought it had to do with compression that better fit the limits
of the output medium than simple clipping? And is based on objective
information of the human perceptual model?

That is, if the output gamut is no smaller than input (and matching white point
and what-not), the output is the same as the input. When the output is smaller,
perceptual takes the same conceptual aim as lossy JPEG compression: ideal is a
perfect visual match between output and input, and minimal visual compromises
are made with knowledge of what is and isn't perceived as important to humans.
Differences between input and output depend on how drastic the compression is
required to be.

...no...?

"Pleasing" in the context of camera RAW converters generally has to do with
amping up saturation and contrast, mimicking Velveeta or some other favored
film stock.

b&