[argyllcms] Re: Calculate RAW importer profiles ?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 09:27:33 -0700

On Jul 27, 2015, at 9:04 AM, Adriaan van Os <gpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I certainly disagree with that, as the programming needs to be done only once
- and then it would work for any camera/setting/manufacturer.

The point we're trying to make is that the task is significantly more
challenging than you seem to realize. You're proposing using the tools in ways
they were never designed to be used.

On the other hand, correcting single photos by hand to achieve the same goal,
is absurd.

Er...nobody's suggesting you hand-correct photos. All the popular RAW
development tools support all sorts of automation, including batch modes.

For that matter, ACR has already done pretty much exactly what you're asking,
now that I think about it. They've got "Camera Landscape," "Camera Vivid," and
similar "profiles" (or whatever term they use) that mimic the camera
manufacturer's "profiles" of the same name. At least, they've got that for
Canon cameras, and I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't also have it for Nikon
cameras. And every other popular RAW developer I've encountered has something
similar.

In short, the mainstream commercial products already do exactly what you're
asking for, and do it superbly well.

Graeme has never, in the decade or more I've been using Argyll, been nor
pretended to be interested in "pleasing" color as opposed to colorimetric
accuracy. Nor will you find "pleasing" color a goal of any other ICC-based
workflow I'm aware of -- at least, not in the phases where one is using ICC
profiles for color transformations...the exceptions being simplistic sepia
toning or the like. (And I think somebody might have built profiles to emulate
certain film emulsions.) It's theoretically possible, sure, but it's not
designed for that and there are better tools for that job.

May I suggest? If you think it's really worth the effort...well, you can
download all the source for yourself. If your code is up to snuff, I'd expect
Graeme would likely incorporate it into Argyll if appropriate.

b&