[argyllcms] Re: Calculate RAW importer profiles ?

  • From: Anders Torger <torger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 21:32:26 +0200

Adobe copy looks all the time with their "Camera" profiles bundled with
Lightroom. The look is still not exactly the same so no there would be
no licensing or copyright issues. Don't consider it legal advice
though, but I have never heard about any issues related to mimicking
some raw converter's look. Certainly if you're not going to sell it or
even publish it at all you are even safer than Adobe.

/Anders

On 07/28/2015 08:30:22 PM, Adriaan van Os wrote:

Anders Torger wrote:
As far as I know NX still uses ICC profiles. Maybe they still can
be

extracted using this technique:

This works yes (or at least with the version of NX I have).

http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?
title=How_to_get_Nikon_ICM_profiles_from_NX2

These ICC profiles expect that the raw file has been preprocessed
in

some way (applying some gamma etc), RawTherapee has this coded in
rawimagesource.cc, but it was a while ago since it was tested last

think, but you get the idea.

So what I would do to replicate Nikon NX look is to extract those
ICC
profiles, and figure out how the preprocessing is made. Then I'd
generate a new ICC or DNG profile which makes the same translations
but
without the preprocessing (will require some coding).

Then, that new ICC profile would be free of copyright and licensing
issues ?

Regards,

Adriaan van Os